Breaking News

WIC Information

What is WIC?

WIC is a Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children.  It is administered in Illinois by the Department of Human Services (DHS) and is funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The program provides nutrition education and counseling, breastfeeding support, and referrals to other services. The combination of nutrition education, nutritious foods, and yearly health care visits strengthens families long after their WIC eligibility has ended.

WIC supports every mother's choice to breastfeed.   

WIC Categories

Pregnant woman

Breastfeeding mother, up to one year

Non-breastfeeding mother, up to 6 months after delivery

Infants and children, up to 5 years of age

A miscarriage up to 6 months from the date.


Your annual household income must be within WIC guidelines.

WIC Income Guidelines 2015-2016

What to Bring?

  • Identification
    Driver's license, Photo ID, WIC card, and Social Security Number.
  • Proof of Pregnancy
    Positive pregnancy test confirmation from your physician or ultrasound
  • Proof of Income
  • 30 days of paystubs or income tax form 
  • Proof of Residency
    Piece of mail (less than 60 days old) with physical address (NO P.O. Box) or rental agreement
  • Proof of Birth
    Birth Certificate or Birth Card
  • Proof of Immunizations
    All shot records



The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender, identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at: or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136.